Working In Canada As A Student

As a full-time student, you can work while studying in Canada and cover part of your expenses.

- Work On-Campus

You can work on your school campus, without a work permit, if you:

  • are a full-time post-secondary student at a:

– public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

– private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or

– Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law

  • have a valid study permit, and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

- Work Off Campus

You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet all of these requirements:

  • you’re a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • you’re enrolled in

– a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or

– a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only)

  • your study program

– is at least 6 months long and

– leads to a degree, diploma or certificate

  • you’ve started studying
  • you have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you’re a part-time student, you can work off campus only if:

  • you meet all of the requirements above and 
  • you’re only studying part-time, instead of full-time, because:

– you’re in the last semester of your study program and you don’t need a full course load to complete your program and

– you were a full-time student in your program in Canada, up until your last semester

- How many hours you can work off campus?

  • During regular school terms/semesters: 

You can work up to 20 hours per week.

  • During scheduled breaks in the school year:

You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.

You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.

- Work as a Co-op Student or Intern

Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • work is required to complete your study program in Canada
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

- Work as a Student's Spouse or Common-law Partner

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • have a valid study permit and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:

– a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

– a private college-level school in Quebec

– a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)

If you wish to study in Canada, please fill out our evaluation form. We will contact you shortly.

How can we help you?

Everyone deserves support and representation…
We have the skills and understanding to help you reach your goals, whether you are a student, a skilled worker trying to navigate Express Entry, a Canadian sponsor of a family member, or a temporary resident seeking a Work Permit.
We have the passion, knowledge, and experience to provide solid advice and practical solutions. We are here to help you every step of the way and promise to maintain open lines of communication so that you can make informed decisions.

Please fill out the evaluation form. We will contact you in 3 business days.